Sunday, September 8, 2013

Firestone Walker's Reserve Porter

Heyyy!

It's been a minute and I do apologize for that....Let's get into it!

This past August I did some volunteer work for Stone Brewing Company's 17th Anniversary.This will make my 3rd time working with them.Basically, the volunteer work is pouring and helping clean at the end of the sessions they have.This event got me into home brewing, craft beers and doing this blog!

The first year, I was assigned to AleSmith. The second year was Oskar Blues Brewery. This year it was Mike Hess.After the event the Wife and I went to an after party and I met a local Master Brewer (I need to get back in touch with him.He told me a lot.he's willing to train me, too) Great fun!



Yep!

I've been home brewing an Everyday IPA from The Brooklyn BrewShop Beer Making Kit. Problem is I haven't been staying on top of it..so it looks like shit!

UPDATE: Right after I typed that last sentence, I went and tasted it ( I still have it fermenting, have been for more than a month, maybe two). It wasn't bad.Had an oatmeal taste to it and sediment floating through it, though. I think I'll still bottle it and see what's up.Chalk it up to learning.


Inky Mann brews Brooklyn BrewShop's Everyday IPA
MMM..I think I'll bottle it!

Inky Mann brews Brooklyn BrewShop's Everyday IPA pic 2
See the sediment?


On to the review...Sorry, no video for this one.

Firestone Walker's Reserve Porter pic
Yummy!

I went to the local corner store and picked up this beauty. I'm a big fan of Stouts and Porters. I love the nutty, chocolate tastes. In this case, It had that chocolate, nutty taste.Roasted nutty taste.Reminds me of Oskar Blues Brewery's Ten Fidy. Also has a roasted nut smell.Yummy! I shared some with the Wife and then I took the rest.Sipping it.After about 4 sips I started to feel the buzz (which is a surprise, since the ABV is only 5.8% !!).

Nice mellow feeling, though.I paired it with a Subway Club sandwich.Pretty good.

On a side note, I met Dave Kachorek ,of Firestone Walker Brewing, their "San Diego Padre of Pale" at the Anniversary and he was a real cool guy.I introduced myself to him and asked him how to pronounce " Wookey Jack", one of their flavors. Not only did he tell me how to spell it, he gave me the history of the name, the meaning of their logo and more! He also invited me to the brewery (which I have to take him up on) to taste their other flavors.

Classic!

Anyway, I highly recommend this beer to those who are lovers of Stouts and Porters.Pair this with some grilled meat.Burgers, steak, maybe.To me you have to have an acquired taste for this.Don't go from Budweiser to this unless you plan on changing your thoughts on Commercial beers v. Craft Beers ( see how I differentiated the "beers" between the two?..lower case for "Commercial " vs Craft..almost like royalty)

Cheers, my people!

PS Follow me at Untapp'd...inkymann...Let's become drinking buddies!

No comments: